The Diana Vaughan Gibson Memorial Scholarship, awarded to Hall-Dale students in grades 6-8 by Vaughan Woods & Historic Homestead, encourages and celebrates exploration of the arts, environmental stewardship, and global awareness through attendance at a summer learning program.
Diana is pictured above, 5th from the stern, in the Beaver Camp Varsity War Canoe in 1932. She was a lifelong supporter of outdoor recreation and educational programs and deeply connected to the Hallowell community. For over two decades, throughout the 1980s and 90s, she invited Hall-Dale students to visit her private home, the historic Vaughan Homestead, to learn about Maine History. Hall-Dale students continue to visit the Homestead now that it is a non-profit educational institution. Diana’s legacy is also honored by this scholarship for Hall-Dale students through VWHH.
Applications for 2017 are due on May 22. Please see submission information in the application materials below:
DG Memorial Scholarship application 2017
VWHH AWARDED $5,000 FROM BANGOR SAVINGS BANK FOUNDATION FOR BRIDGES RESTORATION PROJECT
March 2017: Many thanks to the Bangor Savings Bank Foundation for their generous $5,000 gift to VWHH. The award will support repairs to the 1930 High Arch Bridge set to begin early this summer.
Learn More About the Bridges Project
VWHH RECIEVES PRESERVATION GRANT
January 2017: Vaughan Woods & Historic Homestead was awarded a grant from The Belvedere Historical Preservation Fund of the Maine Community Foundation in the amount of $8,900. The award will support the second year of the Homestead’s Rooftop Repair Project scheduled to take place in the spring and summer of 2017. The project is critical in addressing serious water-damage issues which could impact the historic collection of the Homestead. To contribute to the project: Donate Now.
VAUGHAN WOODS’ BRIDGES – ONE OF MAINE’S MOST ENDANGERED HISTORIC SITES
Among the 10 sites chosen in 2015 for Maine Preservation’s “Most Endangered Historic Sites” was Vaughan Woods, whose seven historic stone arch bridges (ca. 1900-1930) are all in need of restoration.
Read the full story and donate to the Restoration Fund here.
Curator Ron Kley speaks to audience in the Homestead Music Room for Veterans Day Program.
HOMESTEAD ARCHIVES REVEAL WARTIME STORIES OF THOSE WHO FOUGHT, SERVED & WAITED AT HOME
Read the full story in this Kennebec Journal article.
Check out a sampling of our eclectic ceramics collection.
A collection of classic children’s books and toys from the closets and drawers of Vaughan Homestead are now on exhibit in the Children’s section of the Hubbard Library.
For your fridge – download our public program schedule here!
Uncle Sam’s Bridge was built in 1900 by 13-year Samuel Vaughan and his father William Warren Vaughan. Having withstood countless floods and thousand of visitors in over a century of use, the bridge was deemed unsafe by engineers this October. Upon this news, the Homestead posted the bridge as CLOSED until further notice. The bridge will be deconstructed and rebuilt as funding allows.